Camp Counselor - Sea Adventures
Classification Title: Temporary/Program
Job Title: Camp Counselor
Wage: $11.00 - $13.00/hour (depending on qualifications).
Suffolk County Marine
Environmental Learning Center, 3690 Cedar Beach Road, Southold NY 11971
Position Summary: This seasonal position will assist with a marine science summer camp
for children ages 6-12 in Southold, NY. The camp counselor will participate as
a marine educator and supervisor for a designated group of 9 campers. The camp
counselor will also aid in the implementation of daily activities, including:
leading children through activities indoors and outdoors during expeditions to
an on-site bay beach, seining and water activities at the beach, arts and
crafts, and games. The camp counselor will prepare and breakdown daily crafts
activities. The camp counselor will be responsible for preparation before
programs and clean-up after programs including cleaning and care of the
facility and/or marine and freshwater tanks.
- Graduation or attendance in/from a recognized high
school or equivalent.
- Experience working with children.
- Ability to learn and lead educational experiences and
- Ability to understand and carry out educational
program tasks and objectives.
- Ability to work with children.
- Ability to supervise a small group of children.
- Ability to understand and implement written and oral
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work outdoors performing various types of
educational and physical activities.
- Ability to learn marine science and natural science
- Ability to work with and touch live animals (marine
organisms, fish, reptiles, etc.)
- Ability to handle health and safety issues and/or
- Ability to perform physical requirements of job, such
as light hiking expeditions to the bay, beach seining and off-camp trips to the
Aquarium and Peconic Dunes.
- Ability to communicate with camp participants’
- Flexible scheduling of work week as required by
- Ability to meet travel requirements associated with
- Ability to meet
acceptable background check standards, if required.
- Ability to work
flexible hours which may include evenings and/or weekends, as appropriate.
- Basic marine biology, environmental or education background.
- Aquarium and/or animal care experience.
- Current CPR/AED and/or First Aid certification or higher, or equivalent.
- Lifeguard Certifications.
Other: Position is seasonal. 20-30 hours per week. Need to be available for
the entire duration of the camp season (July 9th - August 17th).
please download application from website and send application, resume and cover
letter to Christine Tordahl at email email@example.com or call (631) 852-8660 x 39.
Last updated February 16, 2018