- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 pound potatoes (3 cups sliced)
- 1 onion (1 cup sliced)
- 1 ounce regular or lowfat cheddar cheese (1/4 cup grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 375°. Coat 2-quart baking dish with vegetable cooking spray.
- Wash and peel potatoes.
- Slice potatoes and onion thinly.
- Grate cheese.
- Combine oregano, salt and pepper in small dish.
- Place half of potatoes in baking dish. Spread onion over potatoes. Sprinkle with half the seasoning mixture. Layer remaining potatoes on top.
- Add milk, remaining seasoning and cheese.
- Cover and bake 50 minutes.
- Change oven setting to broil and broil uncovered, until evenly browned.
Makes: 4 servings
Fresh cooking tips
- Use any variety of potatoes in these recipes.
- Try making these recipes with different herbs and spices.
A child can help
- Select potatoes.
- Stir seasonings together.
- Mix potatoes with oil and seasonings.
- Spread potatoes on baking sheet.
More fresh ideas for potatoes
- Bake potatoes and serve plain or with toppings.
- Mash potatoes, alone or with carrots or squash.
- Add potatoes to vegetable soup.
Keep it fresh
- Store potatoes in a cool, dark, dry place for several weeks.