Makes: 4 Servings
2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast (cut to 1/2" cubes)
1 medium onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 15.2 oz can yellow corn (no-salt-added, drained)
2 red apples (chopped, skin on)
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 can 15 oz. can black beans (no-salt-added, drained and rinsed)
4 1/2 ounces diced green chilies
2 cups water
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a stockpot. Add chicken until browned. Remove chicken from pan.
- Heat remaining olive oil in same pot; add onions and garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add corn and sauté until golden brown. Add apple, cumin, and cayenne pepper (optional); cook about 3-4 minutes. Then let cool about 5 minutes.
- Set aside about 1 cup of mixture. Purée remainder in food processor or blender, add some water if needed, and return to pot.
- Add browned chicken, black beans, chilis, bouillon, and water. Bring to boil and simmer about 15 minutes. Chicken should be cooked to 165º F.
- Serve topped with non-puréed portion of apple corn mixture.
Total Cost: $6.42
Serving Cost: $1.60
Source: What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl