Makes: 6 servings
2 3/4 cups Butternut squash, cubed (1 small squash, about 1 pound)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 onion (small, chopped)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 cans low sodium black beans (16 ounces each, rinsed and drained)
1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Heat the squash in the microwave on high heat for 1-2 minutes. This will soften the skin.
- Carefully peel the squash with a vegetable peeler or small knife.
- Cut the squash into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Peel and chop the onion.
- In a large pan, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic powder, and squash.
- Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add vinegar and water. Cook on low heat until the squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and oregano. Cook until the beans are heated through.
Total cost: $3.12
Per serving: $0.52
Source: Pennsylvania Nutrition Education Program, Pennsylvania Nutrition Education Network Website