Makes: 4 servings (1½ cups each)
1 cup brown rice
½ pound broccoli, chopped
2 medium celery stalks, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 small jalapeño, minced
1 clove garlic, chopped
6 ounces boneless chicken pieces or firm tofu
2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
2 Tablespoons canola oil
½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Cook rice following package directions. Set aside and cover.
- If using chicken, remove any skin. Cut chicken into small pieces.
- In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Add 1 teaspoon of the minced jalapeño. Stir.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add ground ginger and chicken or tofu. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly browned and starting to cook through, about 2 minutes.
- Add chopped veggies. Stir frequently. Cook until veggies are tender and chicken is completely cooked but not dry, about 5–7 minutes.
- Add soy sauce mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Serve over warm brown rice.
Total Cost: $4.72
Serving Cost: $1.18
*Costs determined with chicken
Source: Cooking Matters