Makes: 1 Serving
1 pita, whole wheat (cut around the sides, into flats)
2 tablespoons tomato sauce, low sodium
2 slices mozzarella cheese, part-skim, 1 oz
Pick two or three from the following vegetables:
- green & red peppers, 4 thin slices
- mushroom, 1 Tbsp. chopped
- broccoli, 1 Tbsp. chopped
- red onion, 1 Tbsp. chopped
- spinach, 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Spread 2 Tablespoons of tomato sauce on pita, top with chopped vegetables and two slices of cheese.
- Cover with the other half of pita round.
- Microwave 35-45 seconds, or until cheese melts.
- Slice in half, let cool, and enjoy!
- Layering the cheese over the raw veggies will help them steam in the microwave.If you prefer softer veggies, they can be steamed before being put on the pizza.
- A tomato sauce with added flavors will add a nice kick to this pizza.
- Many sliced cheeses come in low-fat varieties and could be substituted for mozzarella.
- Veggie pizza is a great way to get your daily servings of veggies. A mix of veggies - such as greens (spinach or broccoli), seeded (zucchini, peppers, tomatoes), and roots (onion, garlic or mushrooms) - will complement each other if used in variety.
*1 Tablespoon each of broccoli and red onion were used for pricing and nutrition analysis.
Serving Cost: $1.63
Source: CSAAC (Community Services for Autistic Adults and Children)