Makes: 4 servings
12 ounces boneless chicken breast
3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
1 cup whole wheat couscous
2 medium red apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice (divided)
1 fennel bulb
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups fresh baby spinach
1/8 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Slice chicken breasts crosswise into 1/2" strips.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken, cook 8-10 minutes until done, stirring occasionally, remove from heat.
- While chicken is sautéing, cook couscous according to package directions, let cool.
- Core and chop apples, place in large bowl; toss with 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Chop fennel bulb (discarding stem and fronds) and add to bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining oil and lemon juice with balsamic vinegar, sugar, and pepper.
- Add chicken, couscous, spinach, and walnuts to bowl with apples and fennel.
- Drizzle with dressing, toss to coat, and serve.
Total Cost: $9.93
Serving Cost: $2.48
Source: What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl