Makes: 8 servings
The carrots, celery, tomatoes, and lentils make this classic stew full of nutrients, including fiber.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or margarine)
1 cup onion (chopped)
6 cups water
2 cups lentils (dry, washed, soaking not necessary)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
6 carrot (large, cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
8 small celery stalks
3-4 fresh tomatoes cut in wedges
- Melt butter or margarine in a large skillet.2. Sauté onion until tender.
- Add water, lentils, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, and garlic powder.
- Cover, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, and salt.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes more or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add tomatoes. Heat thoroughly and serve.
Total Cost: $3.55
Cost Per Serving: $0.44
University of Wisconsin, Cooperative Extension Service, Go with Beans Eau Claire County, 2002